Mandalorian enthusiasts, ahoy! Whether you are a Fandalorian, avid Karen Traviss reader, Clone Wars buff or simply a Boba Fett admirer... we salute you!
HomeFAQMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 KT Leaving Star Wars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Anecdote
Strong Arm


Title : Molotov over here!
Number of posts : 174
Planet/System : Corellia
Credits : 195
Rep : 12
Registration date : 2009-04-29

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:56 pm

You won't be assaulted like on TOR. People on these boards are relatively open to discussion, as opposed to other places Razz

I completely agree about the CW sentiment. I'm tired of seeing war glorified, or that it is a good "coming of age" ritual for Ahsoka. I want her to be damaged, I want to see her warped way beyond the "all good" she could have been. I can point to any number of books regarding the Vietnam war to illustrate my meaning. But the end result seems to be the same... CW is happy go lucky, with no adult overtones. It is possible to make a show accessible for all ages, not just towards kids, even if it is is mostly aimed at the younger crowd.
Back to top Go down
Buruk
Sergeant


Title : Survivor of Galidraan
Number of posts : 61
Planet/System : Concord Dawn
Credits : 79
Rep : 3
Registration date : 2009-08-23

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:56 pm

As a preface, I'd like to let you all know that a lot of what I'm about to say isn't necessarily directed at anyone here; most of it has just been building up in me for the past few weeks.

I was disappointed when I found out KT was leaving after IC2 and alarmed when I found out why. I began wracking my brain trying to think of a plausible explanation for the "continuity issues" she cited in her blog, each one I imagined worse than the last. Then I got my hands on the Essential Atlas and I think it has the answers in it. I stopped being angry at that point, because I felt better knowing than not.

I don't think the Mandalorian in the preview is Spar, because he doesn't sound like the other clones. (I know, I know, accent is something you learn, not something you inherit, but that's a concept LFL can't seem to wrap it's head around.) Also, I doubt they'll cause the Cuy'val Dar to no longer exist--pun intended; I doubt they'll touch upon the clones' training at all.

I actually do like the way the troopers are portrayed in TCW, more independent in thought, more human, because that's a major theme in the RC novels. They're NOT droids, they're MEN. Living, breathing, thinking MEN. (Do androids dream of electric sheep? Razz )

Karen portrays Mandalorians as gods who can do no wrong? People who make this claim obviously haven't even read the books. Kal's a hardened criminal who would kill someone without batting an eyelash and Vau is a brutal maniac. Furthermore, the primary antagonist of the very first novel IS a Mandalorian. (Death Watchman, yes, but still Mandalorian.)

Karen rewrote other people's work? I can think of one: Spar. That's it. Family Man Fett? That was in a comic first. Kindly Old Grandfather Fett? A man can't change over a few decades after he's retired? Karen ruined Fett's mysteriousness? Actually Uncle George did that when he showed us a 10-year-old Boba on Kamino. Nice try, thank you for calling. By the way, if anyone's familiar with the intricacies of the planet Ryloth, you'll know that LFL threw a gigantic hydrospanner into established continuity with that one. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a retcon to the retcon.

*ahem* Okay, again, I didn't mean to direct any of that hostility toward the people here, just the tards on the net in general. Rant over. ^_^'
Back to top Go down
Nephill Kilner
Specialist


Title : Mando'ad An'kles Ori'ramikad
Number of posts : 29
Planet/System : Mandalore
Credits : 64
Rep : 1
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:00 am

Anecdote wrote:
You won't be assaulted like on TOR. People on these boards are relatively open to discussion, as opposed to other places Razz

I completely agree about the CW sentiment. I'm tired of seeing war glorified, or that it is a good "coming of age" ritual for Ahsoka. I want her to be damaged, I want to see her warped way beyond the "all good" she could have been. I can point to any number of books regarding the Vietnam war to illustrate my meaning. But the end result seems to be the same... CW is happy go lucky, with no adult overtones. It is possible to make a show accessible for all ages, not just towards kids, even if it is is mostly aimed at the younger crowd.

Exactly. I guess I'll still end up watching it though, and criticizing it as necessary.

Buruk wrote:
As a preface, I'd like to let you all know that a lot of what I'm about to say isn't necessarily directed at anyone here; most of it has just been building up in me for the past few weeks.

I was disappointed when I found out KT was leaving after IC2 and alarmed when I found out why. I began wracking my brain trying to think of a plausible explanation for the "continuity issues" she cited in her blog, each one I imagined worse than the last. Then I got my hands on the Essential Atlas and I think it has the answers in it. I stopped being angry at that point, because I felt better knowing than not.

I don't think the Mandalorian in the preview is Spar, because he doesn't sound like the other clones. (I know, I know, accent is something you learn, not something you inherit, but that's a concept LFL can't seem to wrap it's head around.) Also, I doubt they'll cause the Cuy'val Dar to no longer exist--pun intended; I doubt they'll touch upon the clones' training at all.

I actually do like the way the troopers are portrayed in TCW, more independent in thought, more human, because that's a major theme in the RC novels. They're NOT droids, they're MEN. Living, breathing, thinking MEN. (Do androids dream of electric sheep? Razz )

Karen portrays Mandalorians as gods who can do no wrong? People who make this claim obviously haven't even read the books. Kal's a hardened criminal who would kill someone without batting an eyelash and Vau is a brutal maniac. Furthermore, the primary antagonist of the very first novel IS a Mandalorian. (Death Watchman, yes, but still Mandalorian.)

Karen rewrote other people's work? I can think of one: Spar. That's it. Family Man Fett? That was in a comic first. Kindly Old Grandfather Fett? A man can't change over a few decades after he's retired? Karen ruined Fett's mysteriousness? Actually Uncle George did that when he showed us a 10-year-old Boba on Kamino. Nice try, thank you for calling. By the way, if anyone's familiar with the intricacies of the planet Ryloth, you'll know that LFL threw a gigantic hydrospanner into established continuity with that one. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a retcon to the retcon.

*ahem* Okay, again, I didn't mean to direct any of that hostility toward the people here, just the tards on the net in general. Rant over. ^_^'

Yeah, I agree. Don't get me wrong, the clones with independence is good. But they don't talk about any of the doubt that would come with independence. Like 'why am I still serving in the army, I don't have rights, I don't get paid, nothing' sort of thoughts. But I don't mean that to you, just sorta saying that.

So yeah. My post isn't directed at anyone. I agree with Bur'ika, this is to tards on the Net.
Back to top Go down
Buruk
Sergeant


Title : Survivor of Galidraan
Number of posts : 61
Planet/System : Concord Dawn
Credits : 79
Rep : 3
Registration date : 2009-08-23

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:24 am

Nephill Kilner wrote:
Yeah, I agree. Don't get me wrong, the clones with independence is good. But they don't talk about any of the doubt that would come with independence. Like 'why am I still serving in the army, I don't have rights, I don't get paid, nothing' sort of thoughts. But I don't mean that to you, just sorta saying that.

There actually is an episode where a specific clone asks those questions and even goes so far as to commit acts of sabotage against the GAR. Naturally he's found out and arrested. Of course the show doesn't go into his ultimate fate, but my guess? Execution for treason.
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi
Warrior


Title : "The Rancor"
Number of posts : 308
Planet/System : Gallifrey
Credits : 304
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:22 am

Buruk wrote:
Nephill Kilner wrote:
Yeah, I agree. Don't get me wrong, the clones with independence is good. But they don't talk about any of the doubt that would come with independence. Like 'why am I still serving in the army, I don't have rights, I don't get paid, nothing' sort of thoughts. But I don't mean that to you, just sorta saying that.

There actually is an episode where a specific clone asks those questions and even goes so far as to commit acts of sabotage against the GAR. Naturally he's found out and arrested. Of course the show doesn't go into his ultimate fate, but my guess? Execution for treason.

Most likely. I mean, if they just kill off the clones who were too injured to work for the GAR anymore, whether they could have healed or not (like Fi), then I don't doubt they'd shove a treasonous (and scandalous) act such as that under the rug with a quick trigger pull and incinerator body dump. To them, he was just a number any way. Exposing the fact that some of the clones might not be completely loyal would totally wreak havoc on the Republic's PR department, not to mention mar their shiny facade. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://meshlaruni.deviantart.com/
Nephill Kilner
Specialist


Title : Mando'ad An'kles Ori'ramikad
Number of posts : 29
Planet/System : Mandalore
Credits : 64
Rep : 1
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:18 pm

Mesh'la Runi wrote:
Buruk wrote:
Nephill Kilner wrote:
Yeah, I agree. Don't get me wrong, the clones with independence is good. But they don't talk about any of the doubt that would come with independence. Like 'why am I still serving in the army, I don't have rights, I don't get paid, nothing' sort of thoughts. But I don't mean that to you, just sorta saying that.

There actually is an episode where a specific clone asks those questions and even goes so far as to commit acts of sabotage against the GAR. Naturally he's found out and arrested. Of course the show doesn't go into his ultimate fate, but my guess? Execution for treason.

Most likely. I mean, if they just kill off the clones who were too injured to work for the GAR anymore, whether they could have healed or not (like Fi), then I don't doubt they'd shove a treasonous (and scandalous) act such as that under the rug with a quick trigger pull and incinerator body dump. To them, he was just a number any way. Exposing the fact that some of the clones might not be completely loyal would totally wreak havoc on the Republic's PR department, not to mention mar their shiny facade. Razz

Yeah, I saw that episode. Kinda just made me pissed when Rex and Cody are all 'You betrayed us!' But yeah, probably he was executed. Maybe everyone was told he was in prison or crap, but then Palps special assassination teams took him out.....
Back to top Go down
DoseOrdo
Warrior


Title : I is Mandalore?
Number of posts : 181
Planet/System : Space, the final frontier... These are... wait what? wrong fan page?
Credits : 169
Rep : 6
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:55 am

Nephill Kilner wrote:
I kinda agree with most of the things that have been said.
They lost a battle to the Caedus and that drug probably wiped out a good number of people on Mandalore, not to mention make it impossible for anyone with relation to Fett unable to go on the planet. Not to mention Caedus slaughtered a Mando team and took Mirta Gev prisoner, and brainwashed Mirta against Boba.

Non of this was KT. The last book in the series was done by someone else.
Back to top Go down
Pheonix023
Tourist


Number of posts : 9
Credits : 10
Rep : 1
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:39 pm

KineticTenacious wrote:
I only read one of her other books. I didn't actually care for it very much. Not sure why.

*is curious* what did you read? Gears of War? I didn't really get into it the first time (thought that it didn't hit me as hard as the RC books), but after I read it again I loved it. The thing is, when your startng a new series, you can't just expect to have the emotional investment in characters that you had in RC untill you've read the book at least twice.
Back to top Go down
Douglas Fett
Sergeant


Title : Te Werda Mand'alor
Number of posts : 78
Planet/System : The Mandalore System
Credits : 86
Rep : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-27

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:53 am

Hey forks. Thought I'd add in my two cents. Looks like the thread is dead but maybe it'll turn up...

Anyway, as we all know now months later, IC2 is gone before it's even written, for whatever reason.

Mostly, it just discourages me as a SW fan from caring about the franchise anymore. I used to like SW when I was a kid, and when I was in high school. Granted I only had the 1997 special edition and a couple games, but I really liked it. Never got much into the novels (seemed way too complex and weird, although I did like the Boba Fett trilogy by KW Jeter), so when the RC novel came out in 2004, I had a new, refreshed interest.

But...with all the craptastic canon that's come out, there's just nothing of value. Why 'The Clone Wars' series has to be adopted as full-on canon is beyond me...in truth it reminds me of Lucas' use of Jar Jar Binks in ep. 1 to appeal to kids. Let me show you:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jar_jar_binks

And the quote from George down the page:

"There is a group of fans for the films that doesn't like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like Terminator, and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
―George Lucas

Gee George, maybe because it's plain crap. There is such a thing as "Saturday morning cartoons" where Jar Jar would have fit in perfectly. Terminator? No no no. We do big action RPs on our own time. What we want from SW are compelling stories and characters, believable scenarios. Jar Jar, and now this "TCW" is a disgrace to the franchise. As fans, are we not allowed to question obviously absurd characters and ideas?

Traviss' RC novels had some serious longevity and introduced concepts that were way beyond George apparently...I could compare them to the very adult, mature philosophical themes that were discussed in KOTOR2. So to think that some cartoon could just be thrown in, years after the whole clone wars business is over, and supersede previously established canon is insulting. Like others have said, the clone wars are over George...your an idea man, but not a developer. Dark Horse could've taken care of all this crap years ago if you just discussed it then. So much for the live action show, I was hoping it'd be on by now. Oh well....

But yes. Generally I'm just discouraged and disappointed. Ok, think back...oh, 10, 15 years ago. Did anyone ever have to worry if certain material in the SW EU was canon or non-canon? Now it's like you have to pick and choose decent material that's actually worth a damn. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't recognize most of this crap as canon anyway. The legacy comics? No thanks. The Clone Wars? Been there, done that. The Force Unleashed? Puh-lease.

My two cents.
Back to top Go down
DoseOrdo
Warrior


Title : I is Mandalore?
Number of posts : 181
Planet/System : Space, the final frontier... These are... wait what? wrong fan page?
Credits : 169
Rep : 6
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:11 am

true "G" canon is basically what the Star wars franchise views as George Lucas world. Because he had a large part in developing the movies they are "the word" in Star wars canon. Lucas has similar power of the story line for the clone wars series. As Filoni stated several times hes putting things as Lucas intended them. The fact that the series is dirrect reflection of Lucas is why they are such high canon.

Things like Republic Commando, Mandalorian Armor, Legacy of the Force, comics, games, and so on have little to no Lucas guidence so they are not looked at on the same level of his world.

As for his addition of things you dont like, its a business. Ewoks sell dolls and kids like Jar Jar, they target a younger audience bringing in more fans and profit. You as an adult can roll your eyes at them and still have the rest of the star wars universe around them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: KT Leaving Star Wars   

Back to top Go down
 
KT Leaving Star Wars
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Vintage Star Wars calendars on Ebay!
» COX Star Wars R/C Landspeeder What is it worth?
» Star Wars Birthday party for Colorado girl
» May KC Legoland Star Wars Weekends 5/4-5/13
» Sept KC Legoland Star Wars Weekend 9/14-15/13

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Mandalorian Stuff :: Book Club for Mandos-
Jump to: