Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mandalorian enthusiasts, ahoy! Whether you are a Fandalorian, avid Karen Traviss reader, Clone Wars buff or simply a Boba Fett admirer... we salute you!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mando Food

Go down 
+2
Kote
Tracyn Ordo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tracyn Ordo
Warrior
Tracyn Ordo

Title : The NZ Mando
Number of posts : 156
Planet/System : Manda'yaim
Credits : 156
Rep : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Mando Food Empty
PostSubject: Mando Food   Mando Food I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 11:04 pm

I was thinking this morning (and no it didn't set anything on fire) about mando food... There are numerous fan made recipes for uj cake around but what about the other examples of mando cuisine such as skiratas favoured ruik root and gihaal. My thoughs on gihaal are that it would be something like biltong, except fish instead of the traditional red meat... Not sure on the ruik root though... Anyone got thoughts on any mando cuisine? Possibly tihaar etc...
Back to top Go down
Kote
Warrior
Kote

Number of posts : 144
Planet/System : currently on deep scouting mission in the Unknown Regions
Credits : 144
Rep : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Mando Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mando Food   Mando Food I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 am

I've been thinking for some time already, and I've got the feeling that Mando food must be like a mixture of Mongolian and Mexican cuisines.

As for tihaar, it's just a very strong distilled home-made liquor, as far as I understand. Maybe calvados can be referred to as "apple tihaar" (though technologically it's not exactly the thing, I guess), but Slovakian slivovitsa can be called "plum tihaar" for sure. It's good, by the way. Very Happy If you ever have a chance, do try it.
Back to top Go down
Anecdote
Strong Arm
Anecdote

Title : Molotov over here!
Number of posts : 174
Planet/System : Corellia
Credits : 195
Rep : 12
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Mando Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mando Food   Mando Food I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 8:39 am

Gihaal sounds like the base of many, many Southeast Asian cuisines. Malay, Thai, Viet, Cambodian... all can be spicy, and a large number of dishes use a base of fish, fermented or non. (And, unsurprisingly, the fishy smell is often repulsive to those unfamiliar with the dishes)
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi
Warrior
Mesh'la Runi

Title : "The Rancor"
Number of posts : 308
Planet/System : Gallifrey
Credits : 304
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Mando Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mando Food   Mando Food I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Tracyn Ordo wrote:
Not sure on the ruik root though...
Says here that Ruik is analogous to the use of chewing tobacco, but I don't know about the taste other than it says that it's "bittersweet."

Last edited by Mesh'la Runi on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://meshlaruni.deviantart.com/
Tracyn Ordo
Warrior
Tracyn Ordo

Title : The NZ Mando
Number of posts : 156
Planet/System : Manda'yaim
Credits : 156
Rep : 2
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Mando Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mando Food   Mando Food I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Mesh'la Runi wrote:
Tracyn Ordo wrote:

Says here that Ruik is analogous to the use of chewing tobacco, but I don't know about the taste other than it says that it's "bittersweet."
Yea, the closest i could think of is ginger... but my knowledge in that area is rather limited... and it doesnt taste good chewing on a large piece of ginger root... Trust me I've tried it!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi
Warrior
Mesh'la Runi

Title : "The Rancor"
Number of posts : 308
Planet/System : Gallifrey
Credits : 304
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Mando Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mando Food   Mando Food I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 8:30 pm

Tracyn Ordo wrote:
Mesh'la Runi wrote:
Tracyn Ordo wrote:
Yea, the closest i could think of is ginger... but my knowledge in that area is rather limited... and it doesnt taste good chewing on a large piece of ginger root... Trust me I've tried it!!! Razz
That sounds more bitter than sweet 0_o.

Last edited by Mesh'la Runi on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://meshlaruni.deviantart.com/
Melyc'inya
Staff Sergeant
Melyc'inya

Title : Combat Medic
Number of posts : 116
Credits : 167
Rep : 14
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Mando Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mando Food   Mando Food I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Tracyn Ordo wrote:
That's actually quite up to the taster. I know my mommy loves candied ginger and has said she could eat it like regular candy, but I don't like it anywhere near as much...oh, and if I remember correctly, when she's putting ginger in things she'll cut off pieces of the root she has stored for use and eat it just like that, so the ruik could be like a (perhaps slightly more addictive) version of ginger.
Back to top Go down
http://melfina-chan.deviantart.com
Daennika
Chief
Daennika

Title : Top Douche in charge
Number of posts : 483
Planet/System : Sol, Outer Rim
Credits : 553
Rep : 37
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Mando Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mando Food   Mando Food I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 1:48 am

I love candied ginger but wouldn't eat more than a few pieces..... a month. I worry about my taste buds on the long run.

Personally, whatever I eat or cook that tastes delicious and fills my stomach in the winter will be a mando meal. All sorts of puddings, soups and stews come to mind...
Back to top Go down
http://daesaurus.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

Mando Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mando Food   Mando Food I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mando Food
Page 1 of 1