Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mandalorian enthusiasts, ahoy! Whether you are a Fandalorian, avid Karen Traviss reader, Clone Wars buff or simply a Boba Fett admirer... we salute you!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!

Go down 
+2
Daennika
Catika
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Catika
Vice Chief
Catika

Title : Medpack Dispenser
Number of posts : 349
Planet/System : Ord Mantell
Credits : 400
Rep : 65
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! Empty
PostSubject: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Daennika and I were joking around one time, and we decided that it would be awesome if one of my Mandalorian characters became a rock star. I mean, it's not very plausible considering his upbringing, but I like the idea of a rebellious Mandalorian!

So while we would absolutely LOVE to be adopted/taken into the Mando culture, how many Mando kids do you think rebel and go do their own thing? "The grass is always greener," right? And then, what would they DO? Become hairdressers? Business CEOs?
Back to top Go down
http://rc1140.tumblr.com
Daennika
Chief
Daennika

Title : Top Douche in charge
Number of posts : 483
Planet/System : Sol, Outer Rim
Credits : 553
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 1:28 am

Business in the front, party in the back! Lots of people lead double lives already, but I guess a warrior who is busy touring the Galaxy, rehearsing songs and recording music wouldn't have much time left for war. Imagine a situation where your Mando squad is ready for an assault on a base/ship/planet but the operation can't kick off because Rockstar Ad'ika isn't back from a signing session yet. And his dad would be furious if he didn't take part in the assault because then the kid wouldn't be much more of a Mando anymore.

So this is technically difficult, but I like to believe that it's remotely possible and quite an interesting lifestyle. I mean, imagine all the tail he could get with the Mando charisma onstage? So maybe not a young Mando but let's say a 30-something experienced dude who's decided to live his passion on the side... Imagine this: your Mando character plays the guitar for fun and comes up with his own songs, then at a drunken party sends a demo at a record company via HoloNet and a few days later he gets a record deal! Because the record company does not know what the guy does in life, just that he can sing and play.

This is possible!!!
Back to top Go down
http://daesaurus.tumblr.com/
Tenna
Staff Sergeant
Tenna

Title : Droid Control
Number of posts : 193
Planet/System : Hawkbat country
Credits : 217
Rep : 10
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 8:52 am

Are we talking about an alter ego or a secret identity kind of rockstar thing? Because if Miley Cyrus can do it than a Mando can do it no problem.
Back to top Go down
Catika
Vice Chief
Catika

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 12:08 pm

I'm talking like:
Mando Parents: Okay time to learn how to storm a stronghold!
Mando Child: NO I'M GOING TO BE A SINGER!

Complete Mando rebellion! I don't know what Mando ma and pa would do if their kids didn't want to be Mandos. It would probably make them sad, but really, to make their kids happy, wouldn't they want them to do what they want?
Back to top Go down
Douglas Fett
Sergeant
Douglas Fett

Title : Te Werda Mand'alor
Number of posts : 78
Planet/System : The Mandalore System
Credits : 86
Rep : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 12:56 pm

I think Mando parents would go berserk. In my interpretation (of Mandos of the KOTOR era), one of the ways they see themselves as unique and everybody else simply as aruetiise is because the rest of the galaxy is filled with people who lead stagnant, boring lives, who lead the 'other' life - lawyers, accountants, business people, folks in the food service, etc.
Back to top Go down
Cody MacArthur Fett
Sergeant
Cody MacArthur Fett

Title : Sick-Twisted Freak
Number of posts : 69
Planet/System : Typura/Holarem
Credits : 35
Rep : 0
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Well, I'm not quite sure a Mando would run off to become a a rock star (do they even have rock in the SW galaxy?), though I can imagine them running off to fill quite a few other professions . . .

Mando girl: I cannot take it anymore f'ather. I ahm going to film school and becoming ah director.
Mando dad: You have to Katie. The Lucas family has always been warriors, what would people think?
MG: There ah just gonna half to deal with it.
MD: . . . What kind of films are you going to direct?
MG: Sci-fi, what'a else?
MD: Well, it could be worse.
Mando son: Dad! I demand a better education!
MD: Say what?
MS: I refuse to except an education that teaches that less bureaucracy is a good thing, that individuals can overcome great challenges, or that lasers fire in a straight line.
MD: . . .
MS: That's why I'm going off to Middle Management School to become a faceless corporate worker drone.
MD: YOU'RE NO SON OF MINE!!! GET OUT!
MS: Fine! I'll run away then, and I'll change my name too. Maybe something cool, like Kornada. Yeah, that's the ticket.

(Sandwich to anyone who can spot the reference. Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! Jack_new_anime14)
Back to top Go down
Taab
Tourist
Taab

Title : Mandalorian Supercommando, Sniper
Number of posts : 13
Planet/System : Togoria
Credits : 17
Rep : 1
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 9:23 am

Well, I think it's depends of era. You know, Mandalorian parents in "KOTOR times" wouldn't agree for rebellion for sure. But maybe during Mandalorian Civil War, it wasn't something... bad? For example Fett's. They weren't active Mandalorians, but only famers. Maybe Jango's father rebelled?

And occupation for child who rebelled? Maybe smuggler, maybe farmer... it depends Razz The most popular occupations in Star Wars universe are connected with killing people, or crime Razz
Back to top Go down
http://arkaxhado.deviantart.com/
Douglas Fett
Sergeant
Douglas Fett

Title : Te Werda Mand'alor
Number of posts : 78
Planet/System : The Mandalore System
Credits : 86
Rep : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:29 am

Taab - Good point. Vhetts were farmers, and even Jango's dad was the journeyman protector on Concord Dawn. So maybe they weren't full on Mandalorians, it's just they kept some traditions.
Back to top Go down
Cody MacArthur Fett
Sergeant
Cody MacArthur Fett

Title : Sick-Twisted Freak
Number of posts : 69
Planet/System : Typura/Holarem
Credits : 35
Rep : 0
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:35 am

Douglas Fett wrote:
Taab - Good point. Vhetts were farmers, and even Jango's dad was the journeyman protector on Concord Dawn. So maybe they weren't full on Mandalorians, it's just they kept some traditions.
I wouldn't say that. I mean, a fully functioning and independent society needs farmers, minors, and manufacturers in order to keep everything going (remember Mandal Hypernautics?), so it would wouldn't be that far fetched to see Mandalorians as farmers, especially since the Mandalorians have shown a great appreciation for farm work. (Besides, you can't be at war all the time.)
Back to top Go down
Daennika
Chief
Daennika

Title : Top Douche in charge
Number of posts : 483
Planet/System : Sol, Outer Rim
Credits : 553
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Being a musician isnt productive at all. When I was 18 I wanted to be in a rock band and my uncles and aunts would reply "Okay - so what's your real career choice?"

I should have said "the freaking army" which, by the way, almost became a reality anyway because I'm slowly becoming some sick homemade soldier of fortune with no sense for teamwork.

Anyway back to my point: rockstars and artists are very individualistic people per se and that goes against the Mando principles (aliit and all that jazz) so your character would really have to be raised in a disfunctional environment to choose that path. Or, he/she got way too drunk at a party and got an epiphany while bathing in a puddle of puke.
Back to top Go down
http://daesaurus.tumblr.com/
Catika
Vice Chief
Catika

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 6:02 pm

Daennika wrote:
Anyway back to my point: rockstars and artists are very individualistic people per se and that goes against the Mando principles (aliit and all that jazz) so your character would really have to be raised in a disfunctional environment to choose that path. Or, he/she got way too drunk at a party and got an epiphany while bathing in a puddle of puke.

In the case of Jatne: his parents abandoned him for ten years when he was eight, his drunk aunt trained him, he's semi-depressed, and he's a total hottieeeee. All he needs is the musical talent! >D

I'm sort of half and half on how parents would react to their son or daughter "going native." I think it really depends on the person, just like in real life when your doctor parents expect you to be a doctor and you're like "Uhh I'm going to be a writer?"

I guess the biggest difference is that Mandos are more intense and violent. But still. The son or daughter could fight for their right to PAAARTAAAAAY. /beastie boys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!   Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Screw you parents! I'm going to go live in the ocean!
Page 1 of 1