Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mandalorian enthusiasts, ahoy! Whether you are a Fandalorian, avid Karen Traviss reader, Clone Wars buff or simply a Boba Fett admirer... we salute you!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Part of your norm but amazing to others?

Go down 
+4
Daennika
Mesh'la Runi
Ms.MaraJade
DoseOrdo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DoseOrdo
Warrior
DoseOrdo

Title : I is Mandalore?
Number of posts : 181
Planet/System : Space, the final frontier... These are... wait what? wrong fan page?
Credits : 169
Rep : 6
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Part of your norm but amazing to others? Empty
PostSubject: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 am

I often have to stop and think about things that happen in my life. Things that seem like a normal part of life to me and that are often taken for granted. Then I find myself amazed that I get to witness these things, followed quickly by the though that maybe everyone (or almost everyone) has something like this that if someone else was to see would be amazed.

So I grew up on what is known as the Space Coast, the central east coast of Florida. As most of you know this is where every United States space launch happens. Growing up I saw launch after launch to where it pretty much became the norm.

Now I recently started a job as a NASA contractor. My office is basically in prime public viewing area so for the first time I see hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world come to see the launches. Maybe it’s that I’m no longer a kid but I’m starting to realize what a big deal it is and how rare the sight is.

So enough talk, here is the showing. These are photos from our last launch (Friday Aug 28th) taken out in front of my office by a co worker.

Part of your norm but amazing to others? Dsc0031qnh
Part of your norm but amazing to others? Dsc0035bgi
Part of your norm but amazing to others? Dsc0041mim

Im wondering if anyone else has stuff like this where they live. Others for me would be like the Orlando theme parks or even the ocean itself (I’m always amazed with grown adults who see the ocean for the first time). Feel free to share
Back to top Go down
Ms.MaraJade
Warrior
Ms.MaraJade

Title : Daydream Wanderer
Number of posts : 340
Planet/System : Flitting between Tochin and Arus
Credits : 307
Rep : 61
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 6:26 pm

I just have to say that I'm one of those people who only ever saw a shuttle launch on TV, and I envy what you can take for granted.

I have cousins who lived near Orlando for a couple years (have since moved to PA), and we sat on their roof one night waiting for the shuttle launch. My cousin forewarned us that there would be sonic booms followed by the glow in the distance and a ball of light moving upwards into the sky. We waited for over an hour on that roof -- only to learn that the launch had been cancelled due to high winds around the launch site! I never had the opportunity again to be that close to it, and your pictures gave me goosebumps. Thanks so much for sharing, and I think this is a great topic!! I'm sure there's something around me I take for granted, too, but I can't think of what at this moment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/961915/Ms_MaraJade
Mesh'la Runi
Warrior
Mesh'la Runi

Title : "The Rancor"
Number of posts : 308
Planet/System : Gallifrey
Credits : 304
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 6:35 pm

I can totally relate to a lot of what you said Dose, being a native Floridian myself. Just the other night I watched that launch from outside my apartment. It was very pretty, though completely silent since I live inland. A friend of mine in Daytona said it was very loud. Razz

As for things that others might find amazing, I'm not really sure, though I'm probably taking for granted all the things we have here in FL like the amusement parks, etc. And the beaches. Even though I despise them... XD
Back to top Go down
http://meshlaruni.deviantart.com/
Daennika
Chief
Daennika

Title : Top Douche in charge
Number of posts : 483
Planet/System : Sol, Outer Rim
Credits : 553
Rep : 37
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 1:54 am

Dose if I lived where you do I would pee every day. Not that I don't do it already here but you get my point.

As for me, having a wolf in the house would be considered a pretty amazing feat. I know Akitas are labeled "dogs" but mine is just a domesticated, wild/crazy/stubborn son of a bitch. He is in my norm now, I try not to take him for granted and each day I get lots of "ooo's" and "wow's" from people when we're on our walks.
Back to top Go down
http://daesaurus.tumblr.com/
Catika
Vice Chief
Catika

Title : Medpack Dispenser
Number of posts : 349
Planet/System : Ord Mantell
Credits : 400
Rep : 65

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 6:30 am

That is so cool Dose!! I'm totally jealous. I'm sure my dad would be too, following NASA's stuff is one of his favorite things, and I'm pretty sure Neil Armstrong is his hero. :p

But thanks for sharing the pictures! I don't think I've even watched a launch on TV. :/
Back to top Go down
http://rc1140.tumblr.com
DoseOrdo
Warrior
DoseOrdo

Planet/System : Space, the final frontier... These are... wait what? wrong fan page?

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 9:20 am

Ms.MaraJade wrote:
I just have to say that I'm one of those people who only ever saw a shuttle launch on TV, and I envy what you can take for granted.

I have cousins who lived near Orlando for a couple years (have since moved to PA), and we sat on their roof one night waiting for the shuttle launch. My cousin forewarned us that there would be sonic booms followed by the glow in the distance and a ball of light moving upwards into the sky. We waited for over an hour on that roof -- only to learn that the launch had been cancelled due to high winds around the launch site! I never had the opportunity again to be that close to it, and your pictures gave me goosebumps. Thanks so much for sharing, and I think this is a great topic!! I'm sure there's something around me I take for granted, too, but I can't think of what at this moment.

The biggest problem with coming to see the launch is that you dont know if its going or not until the last minutes. You can take a guess depending on how the weather is but they require "go" or "no go" from so many people and one "no go" cancels the entire thing. This last launch was pushed off a day because one "no go" in Texas. If your going to make the trip you have to put a few days into it and certainly find other things to keep you entertained so your vacation isnt a complete bust if its a no go.

Theres only 6 left so times running out if you ever plan to see one. The new system is more like a rocket which doesnt put on anywhere near the same show.

Mesh if you live in the Orlando area you've got all the theme parks. For us we could say "lets go to Disney this weekend" and it be no big deal. People from all over the world plan years in advance for a once in a lifetime trip to disney. Thats pretty impressive if you ask me lol.
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi
Warrior
Mesh'la Runi

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 4:45 pm

DoseOrdo wrote:
Mesh if you live in the Orlando area you've got all the theme parks. For us we could say "lets go to Disney this weekend" and it be no big deal. People from all over the world plan years in advance for a once in a lifetime trip to disney. Thats pretty impressive if you ask me lol.

Yeah I guess. Like I said, probably taken for granted. But still. Disney ain't exactly cheap >_>
Back to top Go down
Buruk
Sergeant
Buruk

Title : Survivor of Galidraan
Number of posts : 61
Planet/System : Concord Dawn
Credits : 79
Rep : 3
Registration date : 2009-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:08 pm

Watching fighter jets zoom by overhead. Being in the Air Force has made it nothing more than a loud nuisance. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Vio'Fais
Sergeant
Vio'Fais

Title : Robot Assassin
Number of posts : 59
Planet/System : Home is where the job sends you.
Credits : 43
Rep : 2
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 6:42 pm

The fighter jets for me, too, having grown up primarily on Air Force bases- though I tend to feel more comforted by them than annoyed.

I've seen two space shuttle landings in person, which are still pretty cool. Laughing No launches, though. But I guess the main one is having moved around a lot (also courtesy of having an Air Force parent), both within the country and outside of it.
Back to top Go down
DoseOrdo
Warrior
DoseOrdo

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:04 am

Vio'Fais wrote:
The fighter jets for me, too, having grown up primarily on Air Force bases- though I tend to feel more comforted by them than annoyed.

I've seen two space shuttle landings in person, which are still pretty cool. Laughing No launches, though. But I guess the main one is having moved around a lot (also courtesy of having an Air Force parent), both within the country and outside of it.

I actually saw my first landing not to long ago. I think I found that more intresting then the launch simply because you can see the launch from just about anywhere in central florida lol. The landing you have to be right there and its almost like being in a movie. Same with just seeing the shuttles on the pad, the first time i got upclose and presonal it felt and looked unreal.
Back to top Go down
DoseOrdo
Warrior
DoseOrdo

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:31 am

Here is a few more just for fun. Not stuff I see every day because I my job revolves around the engineering of the buildings, not the shuttle, but things like this are often around job sites.

The Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB). Where the shuttle is put together
Part of your norm but amazing to others? Img0157v
Part of your norm but amazing to others? Img0160h

The “crawler” is the mobile platform that slowly transfers the shuttle from the VAB to the launch pads
Part of your norm but amazing to others? Img0162aa

And these where laying around inside the VAB when I was there, just the front end of the new Aires rocket.

Part of your norm but amazing to others? Img0161c

Now the most awesome thing, just happened that when I was out there they had both pads loaded, which is very rare. So here is both pads with shuttles. I actually worked on Pad B plans. Pad B is the one without the lightning rod on top.

Part of your norm but amazing to others? Img0158k
Part of your norm but amazing to others? Img0156mx

Just for fun, I live about an hour down the beach from the Space center so here is the view I see when I’m not at work for a launch. Notice all the people… an hour away
Part of your norm but amazing to others? Img0051r
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi
Warrior
Mesh'la Runi

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:56 am

I grew up around planes taking off and landing. My grandfather and then later my father (when my parents divorced and he moved in with his father) both lived two minutes from an airport. I remember visitors being startled by the loud noises and unable to sleep, whereas I actually found the plane sounds comforting.

The other big DUH thing I forgot to mention that's partially relative to FL living is how my father works for Lockheed Martin. As a kid I got to see lots of things that other people will never have a chance to, even those right here in Florida. During the "take your child to work day"s, I always got to walk around the facility, see how things worked, and look at all the cool machines and things they made. Specifically the JASSM and Javelin projects. Pretty neat stuff, if I do say so myself. Wink

Part of your norm but amazing to others? 2952
Back to top Go down
Tracyn Ordo
Warrior
Tracyn Ordo

Title : The NZ Mando
Number of posts : 156
Planet/System : Manda'yaim
Credits : 156
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:22 pm

I guess you could say living 5 minutes stroll from the ocean and having a view like this from the end of your drive is fairly spectacular!
Part of your norm but amazing to others? IMG_2503
And that folks is why I live in New Zealand! That nad the fact that I have no choice for another year...

P.S. This picture doesn't do it justice! Damn crappy camera!
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la Runi
Warrior
Mesh'la Runi

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Wow that mountain is BEAUTIFUL! D:

Florida barely has anything that could even qualify as hills...lol.
Back to top Go down
Daennika
Chief
Daennika

Title : Top Douche in charge
Number of posts : 483
Planet/System : Sol, Outer Rim
Credits : 553
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Tracyn that looks AWESOME. I never imagined it would look that impressive, especially with the snow.
It's also funny because it's a straight 1-peek mountain, like a pyramid.

And Mesh'la, the JAVELIN is the funnest, most destructive and efficient weapon I ever got to use in virtual infantry combat simulators!

Nearly peed when I first had my sticky hands on one. Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
http://daesaurus.tumblr.com/
Tracyn Ordo
Warrior
Tracyn Ordo

Title : The NZ Mando
Number of posts : 156
Planet/System : Manda'yaim
Credits : 156
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Mesh'la Runi wrote:
Wow that mountain is BEAUTIFUL! D:
Aye, that it certainly is!
Daennika wrote:
Tracyn that looks AWESOME. I never imagined it would look that impressive, especially with the snow.
It's also funny because it's a straight 1-peek mountain, like a pyramid.
Well from this side it is but as you travel around southeast-ward more there is an umm... sub-peak? for lack of a better word which jutts out about 2/3 of the way up... And also on the right side of the photo you can see that there are some ranges that are there too, just lower, that actually strech out quite a way...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Part of your norm but amazing to others?   Part of your norm but amazing to others? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Part of your norm but amazing to others?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: What are you doing here? :: Just chatting-
Jump to: