Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mandalorian enthusiasts, ahoy! Whether you are a Fandalorian, avid Karen Traviss reader, Clone Wars buff or simply a Boba Fett admirer... we salute you!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Catika
Vice Chief
Catika

Title : Medpack Dispenser
Number of posts : 349
Planet/System : Ord Mantell
Credits : 400
Rep : 65
Registration date : 2009-03-16

It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS Empty
PostSubject: It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS   It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 6:35 am

Hey guys! Catika here. I'm two months away from getting my very own white coat (there's a ceremony and everything), but it's never too early to start DRUG EDUCATION. :3

I seriously don't know everything. At all. So jump on in if you know anything about anyone's questions!

I just got access to a subscription-only pharmacist newsletter that has a GIANT database of information regarding all the drugs out there, their effectiveness, side effects, dosages, and there's also a rumor/fact page. There are also two sites on herbal remedies and diet supplements for those of you healthy people trying to get ahead.

Got any questions? ASK AWAY!

fine print: My credentials include being a member of Peers Advocating Wellness for Students (alcohol, sexual health, you name it, we do it), and I'm starting my first year of the professional phase of pharmacy school. Also, don't worry, I HAVE THE INTERNET.
Back to top Go down
http://rc1140.tumblr.com
Ms.MaraJade
Warrior
Ms.MaraJade

Title : Daydream Wanderer
Number of posts : 340
Planet/System : Flitting between Tochin and Arus
Credits : 307
Rep : 61
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS   It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 pm

First off, early congratulations for your hard work, and I wish you the best for the remainder of your studies!! cheers

Well, I tend to ask a lot of questions to my doctors and read the pamphlets that come with my medicines, but since you offered, I'll ask. Very Happy

My Endocrinologist just put me on Metformin. Generally, it's used for helping to maintain insulin resistance. However, she also noted that it helps with ovulation, and it's one of those drugs that can't do any harm. I've been trying to maintain a healthy diet so that I can put insulin resistance to bed, but I admit that I still am not eating the "perfectly natural" way I did prior to getting pregnant before. So, with that said, I challenge you to give me more information on Metformin and any studies where it's known to help with fertility.

I'm currently going on 1 year and 7 months of being infertile, and it's become a mystery as to why...especially since my 2 year old son took nearly 2 years to conceive as well.

Also, three months ago she lowered my Levothyroxine (generic for Levoxyl) from .15mg to .137mg and now it's being lowered once again to .125mg. I was concerned because I can feel myself gaining weight, but she's insisting my thyroid levels are rather high and it's time to balance them out since the cancer has been in remission for nearly 6 years now. So, give me information on what I should watch for with hypothroid due to insufficient medication. (I know the answers to this one, so I'm actually quizzing you. Wink )
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/961915/Ms_MaraJade
Catika
Vice Chief
Catika

PostSubject: Re: It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS   It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 6:36 am

Thanks Mar'buir! Very Happy

OKAY! This will be my first challenge! I will look up what I can and get back to you. Also, we talked about a condition a while ago that you had (I'm going to be good here and not post HIPAA violations by saying all the details XD), and I just wanted to check and see if that was still part of what's causing the infertility, just so I know of all of the potential factors.
Back to top Go down
Ms.MaraJade
Warrior
Ms.MaraJade

PostSubject: Re: It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS   It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Catika!

Last ultra sound a few weeks ago showed 3 fibroids, but no cysts. So, looks like PCOS is now out of the picture. The fibroids, though, are small enough that the doctor said it should not block any egg movement.

I'll be going through (what is pretty painful from I've been told by others who have had it done) a more intensive screening to rule out a certain kind of cancer. I'll be getting that done on the 11th and will let you know if I survive it. LOL. Afterwards, if I make it through without needing to reschedule it to the hospital rather than the doctor's office, I'll let you know the results of that, too.

Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
Catika
Vice Chief
Catika

PostSubject: Re: It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS   It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Eep my Thursday deadline is coming up to get back to you, Mar'buir!

Just so everyone knows, when I look up information about really complicated/personal stuff, I will probably just send you a PM with my findings. And also feel free to just PM me if you're more comfortable doing that than posting here.

I also want to just point out a disclaimer: I'm not here to give you a professional diagnosis or anything. I want to provide information that can help you talk to your doctor or pharmacist to solve big problems like sicknesses, drug interactions, etc. And really if you just have simple questions like "Hmm so if I take three Ibuprofen and Tylenol PM, how's that going to fly?" then those are probably the easiest for me to answer. :3

So in short, I don't have the capability or authority to dish out "treatments" but I do want to be a friendly face for any questions you might have!

Or if you're just curious about like... infectious diseases or something. Swine flu. I don't know. I love bacteria and viruses. >> /nerd
Back to top Go down
Ms.MaraJade
Warrior
Ms.MaraJade

PostSubject: Re: It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS   It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Catika!

I know I threw a lot at you at once to look up, and I'm not worried if it takes you longer than a week. I know you have classes and such to handle first. I've always been one to ask a lot of questions to my doctors and do my own research on top of it so I'm not totally lost with my situation. I have a decent base knowledge of my health and my issues, but I never turn aside an outsider's perspective, especially one who has medical knowledge.

As for your disclaimer, I understand it completely. I would never take your information as a means to be a cure or a treatment.

Again, because I do follow my own health so closely, I thought I might be an interesting case study for you.

On a side note, I had that procedure today, and without getting graphic and upsetting the guys on the forum, it was NOT fun!! To put it mildly, I had the same soreness and raw feeling I did after giving childbrith...only without the gift of a baby this time. Boo!! Anyway, the doctor will have the results from that in about a week. Wish me luck.

Talk to you soon!!
Ms.MaraJade
Back to top Go down
Ms.MaraJade
Warrior
Ms.MaraJade

PostSubject: Re: It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS   It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 3:48 am

The results of last Friday's procedure came back normal so now that's one less cancer I have to worry about right now. cheers
Back to top Go down
Mesh'la'tal
Farmer
Mesh'la'tal

Title : wondering and lost
Number of posts : 23
Credits : 13
Rep : -2
Registration date : 2011-06-20

PostSubject: Re: It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS   It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 6:29 am

@_0 what kind of drugs are you guys talking about? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS   It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's Thursday: This is your brain on DRUGS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: What are you doing here? :: Just chatting-
Jump to: