Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mandalorian enthusiasts, ahoy! Whether you are a Fandalorian, avid Karen Traviss reader, Clone Wars buff or simply a Boba Fett admirer... we salute you!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Two Short Fics

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mesh'la Runi
Warrior
Mesh'la Runi

Title : "The Rancor"
Number of posts : 308
Planet/System : Gallifrey
Credits : 304
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Two Short Fics Empty
PostSubject: Two Short Fics   Two Short Fics I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Okay, so a little introduction here. The following two stories were written to accompany some of my characters from the SWTOR RP boards. Both of my characters (Mesh'la and Mirdala) were originally SWG characters, Mesh'la being my main. I had to convert several things about them to explain for the difference in time period from Empire to Old Republic. Also, one of them is an excerpt from the SWTOR boards themselves, but I was sure to give all credit where credit was due. That being said, here are my first two entries:

Title: Ke'nu Baslana Ni ("Don't Leave Me")
Timeline: Old Republic (circa SWTOR era)
Characters: Mesh'la Runi, et al.
*See "Author's Comments" section.
Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama/Horror? lol. Kind of a mix.
Plot/Summary: Can be found under "Author's Comments" and at the beginning of the story page. This story details the scene in which my main character, Mesh'la, deals with trying to rescue her husband Durin Lanshield and his squad from the depths of a Sith facility on Korriban.
Links: (click on title)

Title: Solus ("Alone")
Timeline: Old Republic (circa SWTOR era)
Characters: Mirdala Runi
Genre: same as the first story
Plot/Summary: Shortly after her Verd'goten, a young Mandalorian girl finds herself in a most difficult of situations.
Links: (click on title)

Forewarning: there are a few minorly "graphic" instances. Also, if you find the writing to be abrupt, amatuerish, and/or dry, all I can say in my defense is that this is some of my earliest writing. My best stuff is often lost in the never-ending realms of the SWTOR forums.
Back to top Go down
http://meshlaruni.deviantart.com/
Daennika
Chief
Daennika

Title : Top Douche in charge
Number of posts : 483
Planet/System : Sol, Outer Rim
Credits : 553
Rep : 37
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Two Short Fics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Short Fics   Two Short Fics I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 11:23 am

Added these to the Mando Archive, sorry if the topic fell down the board Embarassed But hey, I'm bumping it back up!
Back to top Go down
http://daesaurus.tumblr.com/
commander-13
Staff Sergeant
commander-13

Number of posts : 69
Credits : 115
Rep : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Two Short Fics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Short Fics   Two Short Fics I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:23 am

Final part of the review razzia!

Don't leave me

I've read the short story and it was quite an interesting read actually. I know this was in fact part of an RP but it didn't particularly read as such.

I also like your disclaimer on how "unpolished" certain parts seemed, but I can tell that when the story was written, you were wanting to tell a story and was not particularly paying attention to a specific writing style nor was there any specific planning before it was written, so in retrospect the overall quality of the story isn't really that bad, all things considered.

The character "Mesh'la" is quintessentially mando, she fights like one, she hurts like one and gets revenge like one. Admittedly, some scenes, like the torture scene was a little bit over the top, but then again who's to say one wouldn't react like that faced with the violent death of a loved one.

As far as writing goes, the story is straight to the point, it's mostly action with some feeling thrown in. It's easily seen as a "fledgling" work but there is plenty of potential in it actually. The scene/location descriptions is something I recognize very closely similar to "dungeon master" description, detailed enough but lacks something. It's almost like you wanted the audience to have a setting, but you're not making the reader "see" the whole picture.

I know scene settings are probably the most difficult thing to convey, because you can overdo it sometimes, but I think your writing would benefit greatly from it, even if you overdo things to start with.

It seems that you don't have any problems conveying feeling though, and that's why the story seems so weird. On one hand the standard "setting" lacks "feeling" but then the sentiments of Mesh'la are clearly depicted, so there's that form of "divide" that makes the whole a little unbalanced. Pacing is also an issue, it's slightly off since the story kind of starts in the "middle" of something so there's no crescendo leading to the final confrontation between the Rodian boss and Mesh'la, then it's further unbalanced when it is continued a few more paragraphs, whereas the story should have ended when she buried Durin. The burial scene gives some sort of closure whereas the ship scene does not.

Another point you should watch is the use of Mando'a, in that short story you've used quite a bit of Mando'a and on most instances you did not have to. It's a bit much and detracts from certain scenes, again the torture scene comes to mind.

Overall, I think the story deserves a revamp, written by yourself and yourself only without it being an RP style writing. I wouldn't even mind reading this in a first-person perspective, since your story is character driven rather than driven by circumstances.

There, finally finished the review razzia, until next time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Two Short Fics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Short Fics   Two Short Fics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two Short Fics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Mandalorian Stuff :: Mando Stories-
Jump to: